Monday, October 31, 2005

HAPPY HALLOWEEN



Halloween is one of my 3 most favorite holidays...I guess it just depends on the year and those who i'm with that really makes the day something special. True, it was great when you got to dress up and go house to house taking candy from strangers, visiting grandparents and parading around school in your Pee Wee Herman costume (I still have the costume from 2nd grade), but it takes a little more effort these days.

My mom and her friends invented a clever Halloween event which they called "Spooking." It consists of a few friends dressing up, stuffing pillows here and there, changing your body shape, posture and voice, and totally covering all your skin so that people don't know who you are. Then you hop in an unidentifyable vehicle and head out to friends' houses.

The best thing about spooking is that you're not polite. Usually while trick or treating you ring the doorbell, wait for the people to come to the door, have a conversation and be on your way. Not so with Spooking. You just walk right in, unannounced, and do whatever is necessary to scare the pants off of people you know. That tradition has been passed down to me and my friends.

Ah the times where we can sit around some halloweens and think of all the people we spooked...my cousin Brett at her Halloween party, Miller and Loucks after Millers surgery, the Cambergs....did we end up going to Mr. Mac's House?? I don't know, but i can remember it like it was yesterday. Me, Becca, Rachel and Missy...you're in trouble when you put us 4 together with tubs of costumes from my basement. We laughed so hard and had a great night, no one knew who we were! The best part was that my mom was always in on the act...either dressing up with us or driving the get-away car!

My mom truly is my hero and best friend...in fact she was a little disappointed this year when i told her i had a meeting at 8:30 Halloween Night. Spooking events don't usually start until 10:00pm or so, but on a Monday night who knows who we'll find awake. That and we're not sure who to spook this year. We're running out of people who haven't heard of our spooking episodes, either we've spooked them, or bragged about it to many people the day after...we need to learn to keep our mouths shut, but it's SOOOOO FUNNY!

So whether we go out or not tonight, we can't say...we'll dress up and make a round to the nursing home, and then I'll go to my meetings, probably in costume to try and scare some people around Bona's. Maybe there'll be a blog about it tomorrow...maybe not.

So to all of you who have been a spooker or spookee...HAPPY HALLOWEEN and thanks for the memories!

No comments: