Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Spiritual Boot Camp

 "Do not waste time arguing over godless ideas & old wives’ tales. 
 Instead, train yourself to be godly.  
“Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come.” 
- 1 Timothy 4:7-8

This week we learned about Spiritual Disciplines in bible class...and again, by 'we' I mean me too!  I had the privilege of sitting in class with the students to learn about the different disciplines we are to practice as followers of Jesus in order to seek God more intentionally and grow our relationship with Him.  I even did the homework! (but maybe not the final paper...)  In that class, I seemed to be picked on as the physical training expert and used Crossfit and physical training as a parallel to being disciplined in different areas. (Little do people know that it is only discipline that gets me up (most) every morning to exercise and that I would SO RATHER sleep in!  I am NOT a morning person...just ask my mom!)  I know that most of the students were able to apply what they learned in class immediately and had great results.  God's word actually works!?!?  Imagine that!


The students getting creative when figuring out different ways to describe 'discipline'

But according to 1 Timothy, "physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better", which is so true, but at times hard to do!  Now I am extremely aware that I give the same amount of time, if not more, pursuing God intentionally compared to the time I spend exercising.  And that's where the discipline comes in.  

I'm not gonna lie, it's hard for me to do here.  Exercise is challenging, getting up early before the heat of the day really sets in, and also setting uninterrupted time aside to spend with God when there are so many things that have to get done and so many distractions.  But I know that spending time with my God is extremely important, it prepares my head and heart for the day, it allows me time to thank Him for giving me another day in this paradise, and thank Him for the strength that he will give me each day to handle anything that comes my way.  A passage caught my attention in my quiet time the other day and I'm currently using it in my small group this week:

1 Peter 4:10-11
"God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ. All glory and power to him forever and ever!" (emphasis mine)

If I were relying on my strength to sustain me and get me through the last month (can you believe I've been here a month already!?!?!)  I would have been on a plane back home after the first wild, crazy and nonstop week.  But I'm here and I'm staying here with the strength and energy that God is supplying.  Never have I been away from home for 4 consecutive weeks.  Never have I gone this long averaging 6.5 hours of sleep a night.  Never have I had days and days and days of eating rice without craving other foods (I mean I crave chocolate, but that's totally natural no matter where I am).  Never have I had to be this extroverted.  Never have I had to be in charge and play both mom, dad and cool aunt all at the same time.  Has God been preparing me for this over the last 14 years? Absolutely.  But no way can I do this in my own strength.  I'm not strong enough, I'm not smart enough, I'm not cool enough, I'm not extroverted enough.  And me saying these things is not a ploy to get compliments or reassurance.  It's the truth and coming to that realization just goes to show you that everything that goes well or works out is not because I am doing anything...it's because GOD IS DOING EVERYTHING.  

Friday of last week was our last day of Spiritual Discipline class and we were able to get off campus and head to a village, Los Fundos, to practice solitude (something it's hard to get here at GAP) and have some uninterrupted time just us and God.  



  
After our time of solitude we celebrated with one another and some of the villagers who made us empanadas and fried yucca cakes and picked fresh coconuts and guava. It was a much needed break from school, school and more school!!



 
You know my mom anxieties were in full force in this tree climbing picture!

Saturday a bunch of us decided to do some fellow-shipping and celebrating by heading to the beach to watch the sunrise!  It was an awesome reminder of God's creation and that His mercies are new every morning.  More than one of us also broke out into this song...
 

"The sun comes up, it's a new day dawning
It's time to sing Your song again
Whatever may pass, and whatever lies before me
Let me be singing when the evening comes

Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name"

(Look! I made it into a picture! and it was cool enough to wear a jacket at 6:15am!!)
 To also pull out the other highlights of the week:

Thursday we had a Family Dinner where the girls shopped and cooked and Clay was on grill duty!! We ate a little later than expected, but in the mean time we swam, laughed and just chilled out!



Monday we went to a nursing home and was able to spend some time with the elderly, clip and paint some of the people nails and sang and laughed with them.  For some it was totally out of their element, but sometimes we're asked to do things that are uncomfortable for Jesus!


Well that's the wrap up for this last week!  And remember, when you're getting burned out or just feel like you don't want to do anything anymore, ask yourself...am I doing this out of my strength, or out of God's strength??  

Thanks for reading!!






Things that are awesome:
ICE CUBES (nothing is more refreshing than an ice cold drink!)
SUNRISES & SUNSETS
GETTING OFF CAMPUS
MOVIE NIGHTS

Things that are not so awesome (but not horrible either):
WORKING OUT THEN REALIZING WE DON'T HAVE WATER (it comes and goes because they're working on the road outside)

Phrase/Scripture of the week:
"What's the heart behind it?"

"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."  -Hebrews 12:11

No comments: