Tuesday, September 03, 2013

First Day of School!!!



I'd like to introduce you to the Dominican Republic GAP class of 2014! These are my kids all 13 of them...and I can now empathize with all the moms out there who have children in school...it's bitter-sweet. Well maybe a tad more sweet than bitter!!  

They started classes this morning, 4 hours of Spanish and then 2 hours of Bible class in the afternoon, which gives me 6 sweet hours of introvert-recuperation time (finally some time to blog)....And time to read and study on my own, as well as make plans for the upcoming week and helping with the other ministries that go on here at SCORE. 

The students have all been here for a week...this last week included orientation, a lot of rules, team building, and getting to know you time along with a lot of beach time and down time to just adjust to this new culture and climate. Most days average around 90 degrees and about 90% humidity...so we all "glow" more often than not and have been pretty exhausted. Everyone has seemed to settle into their apartments and some have gotten pretty creative with duct tape! They are all troopers...we are still working on getting Internet at the apartment, propane so we can use the stoves and little things seem to go a little wonky every now and them, but were all taking it in stride, knowing that sometimes we have to sacrifice our temporary comfort for an eternal purpose. Plus we all signed up for this!! 

There are 12 girls and one guy, and we couldn't have asked for a better one. He is outgoing, goofy, servant hearted, talented, athletic and easy going. He makes the girls laugh and can also laugh at himself.  It doesn't hurt either that he gets his own apartment were he can retreat and hide if he wants to! All of the girls are great and it's amazing how different yet how similar they all are. It has been an honor getting to know each one of them and i know i have only scratched the surface. I'm excited to start small groups and see what God will reveal to them and be able to see them grow and change and become more and more free as we work through all of the bunk and lies that satan has fed us all these years. Im also excited to share my story and all of the grace that i have been shown along the way, to share with them what an intentional relationship with Jesus looks like and how it has to be fought for...daily. But that the fight is so worth it. That i can now continue to use and apply and pay forward all of the lessons i have learned through Vintage and being poured into by leaders, mentors and friends. I believe that God has me here for that reason. That God put a broken-sinner-saved-by-grace woman in charge this year, that all the gifts and talents I have been blessed with will be used...and that I will be challenged and humbled and stretched more than I could have ever imagined. 

All in all we represent 9 states and all have different accents...Spanish class should be interesting and entertaining! And did I mention they're hilarious???  Here's their awkward family photo! 


They've definitely made me laugh, cringe, shake my head and invaded my personal space...but I'm learning that most things are (for the most part) safe and don't require helmets...or safety glasses...or bubble wrap...


We've started an exercise routine...Monday, Wednesday and Fridays we go out for a run at 7am, Tuesday and Thursdays we do strength training (thanks Crossfit!!) at the beach and Saturdays we do yoga on the beach.  I've been getting up even earlier to get some quiet time in before the chaos that could be that day and to make sure my mind and heart are full of reminders and truth. This last week has been full of late nights and early mornings, so I'm grateful for the routine that has started today as well. I'm a go with the flow kinda gal, but I love me some structure!!!  
 
God is continuing His faithfulness daily. Financial support keeps coming in and i am well over my goal...my cup is overflowing!!! I am also grateful for all the wonderful people who live here and who have been more than gracious when showing me the ropes or answering my hundreds of questions. It's also great to see that there are a lot of missionaries here that are in their early 30's as well, so that's been a lot of fun. I'm slowly getting to know them since I've been so caught up with getting to know and serving the students...but I'm excited to take some time in the next couple of weeks to get to hear more of the missionaries stories and personalities as well. 

Overall my first 11 days have been good ones, full of learning, self-discipline, laughter and tons of beans, rice and chicken.  I know not all days will be good, but I can and will persevere though them knowing that I'm exactly where God wants me to be...and will hold tight to the promise that He is always with me, He will never leave me, that when I am weak He is strong, and that He has an eternal plan for all of it!! 

Please continue to pray!! For the weather, the kids (and their hearts), safety, health, balance, self-discipline, rest, quiet time and just that we are able to love God and love others well!!!

Adios!! 


Things that are awesome: 
THE COFFEE (it has been my saving grace)
NAPS (I haven't taken one yet, but they will come in handy)
THE KIDS (Seriously I don't think I could have asked for a better group)
THE BEACH (no explication necessary)
THE AVOCADOS (they're humongous and delicious and cheap!!)

Things that are not so awesome (but not horrible either):
NOT BEING ABLE TO FLUSH THE TIOLET PAPER (the system can't handle it)
CARBS (rice, potatoes, pasta and bread are HUGE staples here)
NOT BEING ABLE TO SPEAK THE LANGUAGE (but I'm working on that)

Commonly used phrases of the week:
 "You signed up for this" 

1 comment:

Jim Fox said...

Sounds like my daughter is in great hands. God bless your faithfulness! -Jim Fox