Saturday, April 23, 2011

TGIF

Thank. God. It's. Friday.

Thank God for the one Friday that changed the course of history.

Isaiah 53:1-6 (New Living Translation)

 1 "Who has believed our message?
      To whom has the Lord revealed his powerful arm?
 2 My servant grew up in the Lord’s presence like a tender green shoot, like a root in dry ground.
   There was nothing beautiful or majestic about his appearance,
      nothing to attract us to him.
 3 He was despised and rejected—
      a man of sorrows, acquainted with deepest grief.
   We turned our backs on him and looked the other way.
      He was despised, and we did not care.
 4 Yet it was our weaknesses he carried;
      it was our sorrows[a] that weighed him down.
   And we thought his troubles were a punishment from God,
      a punishment for his own sins!
 5 But he was pierced for our rebellion,
      crushed for our sins.
   He was beaten so we could be whole.
      He was whipped so we could be healed.
 6 All of us, like sheep, have strayed away.
      We have left God’s paths to follow our own.
   Yet the Lord laid on him the sins of us all."

These verses have come up on three different occasions the past couple weeks, and when that happens, as a God fearing, Bible believer...you know that God is trying to speak to you.  And boy did He....especially since i'm working through some self-reliance, pride & shame issues and double especially on this Good Friday evening.

While sifting through the layers of my past experiences, past sins pop up right and left...and most I have dealt with and asked forgiveness for...but there are a few that I seem to hold onto.  Not because I'm not sorry that I have done them, not that I'm proud of them, but in some ways if I hold onto them and the feelings of guilt and shame that comes along with those memories...I feel like it keeps me from doing them again.  Enter the sin of self-reliance.  If I could fix myself...if the things that I have done (good or bad) impacted my future in heaven, if I can right all the wrongs myself, then why did Jesus have to die? 

My pride comes into play..."I got myself into this, I can get myself out."  Then self-reliance..."I don't need anyone's help."  And shame..."I did this to myself, and I have to live with the emotional consequences and no one else ever has to know what I did."  But then I look at the cross.  The cross where Jesus died for all...ALL...of my sins: past, present, & future...and you'll find that God takes it a step further in vs. 5-6:

  "But he was pierced for our rebellion,  crushed for our sins.  He was beaten so we could be whole.  He was whipped so we could be healed.  All of us, like sheep, have strayed away.  We have left God’s paths to follow our own.  Yet the Lord laid on him the sins of us all."

Everything that we hang onto from our past, everything that we do not give to the Lord, everything that keeps us from being whole and healed is an insult to God.  Jesus was beaten so we could be whole.  Who are we, who am I to say that I know better than God does of how to handle my past and fix me so I can be whole again??  Who am I to say that "nope, Jesus...that beating wasn't necessary, and I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, but I got this...you went through it for nothing...I like being in pieces."  Seriously!?!  I'm going to be so rough & tough, so selfish & stupid to say to the creator of the universe that he was wrong??  That I like being broken?  The same goes for the next line too: Jesus was whipped so we could be healed.  People...this isn't your typical "i'll-bend-you-over-my-knee-and-give-you-a-whippin'" whipping...this was a "whip-you-so-hard-your-guts-fall-out-and-most-people-don't-even-survive-this" whipping.  Who am I to say "Jesus, that whipping was unnecessary...I like being broken."

Jesus suffered for hours on that Friday so I could be a complete person again.  Jesus hung there on a cross and died so that I may know freedom & forgiveness...to cleanse us of our sins and one day live with Him in heaven.

Although I have had a relationship with Jesus for 12 years now, as long as I hang onto anything that keeps me from being whole & healed, my life will continue to be an insult to God.  And I don't want that to be the case anymore.  Relying on someone else is hard...surrendering you life in faith is even harder, but it shouldn't be when that person is the One who made the heavens and the earth.  The One who provides all my needs, the One who has never let me down, the One who knows how many hairs are on my head and grains of sand in the world.

It's time to completely surrender.  Jesus' efforts will no longer be in vain for my life. 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to be a better person. I want a relationship with Jesus. I don't know how to get there.

Unknown said...

E -

Thank you for reading my blog, and commenting with an open heart. I don't know if you'll ever check to see if I've written back, but in case you do, I wanted to give you some information and truth. All you have to do to begin a relationship with Jesus is tell him that you want a relationship...it's about turning your back on this world and turn and face Jesus. Saying that you're sorry for trying to do this life on your own and that you need the God of the universe to be the God of YOUR universe, God and guide of your life. Then run after Him, get a bible and start getting to know the new Leader & King of your life.

Today is Easter Sunday, and there are many Bible-believing churches you can go to get truth and talk to someone. I don't know where you're at but a couple great churches have online feeds today, so hopefully you can catch one or two.

The Father's House in Rochester: http://www.tfhny.org/#/home/watch-live-church @ 11:30am, 1:30pm, 6pm, 7:30pm & 9pm

The Chapel at Crosspoint in Buffalo: http://www.thechapelatcrosspoint.com/onlineviewing/live.php @ 11am & 1pm

I'll be praying for you E, and feel free to contact me again and we can talk about it some more. Realizing you need Jesus is the first step.